06 Apr Exercises after Bariatric Surgery
Exercises after Bariatric surgery not only Aids in maintenance of weight loss
- Helps maintain muscle strength and endurance
- Helps develop and maintain muscle tone
- Promotes joint stability
- Enhances bone strength and integrity
- Improves ability to perform activities of daily living (ADL)
- Promotes improved skin elasticity
- Boosts immune system
- Elevates mood: Most important
- Enhances self esteem and confidence
- Reduces stress and anxiety
Exercises at Home after Surgery (Week 1-6): Start gradually. You may feel tired or fatigued. It is important to still get up and move around. Walk around the house or use the stairs as tolerated. However It is highly recommended to walk at least 40 minutes a day. You are just beginning to heal after surgery so light activity is recommended and continue with breathing exercises.
After one and half month of operation: Exercise at least 3 times a week for next 12 weeks means 36 sessions. Each session last for 45 minutes which includes:
- 10 to 15 minutes of cardiovascular warming up and stretches.
- 25 minutes strength training.
- 10 minutes of cooling period.